Well, it's a nice looking little cradle-thing, but that's where I stop being impressed. It looks like you have to create the map on your computer and then download it to the Pilot. Presumably, this also means that it can't do dynamic rerouting, and it definitely couldn't handle spontaneous direction requests. And besides, it means that you'd only actually use it for long trips, and then you'd have to go through the process of mapping on the computer and bring it over...

I think that the power of using the empeg for this sort of thing is the use of its hard drive. You can load several hundred megs on it with no problem for street-level maps of a whole state, or several gigs for street-level of the whole US. The empeg would also be powerful enough (I think) to be able to handle the routing and all other processing.

I'm interested in attacking this too, but without the Palm. (I must admit, though, that it would be cool to have an optional Palm for showing a good-sized map -- but all the "smarts" should be in the empeg.) I've been looking around for the road data, and when my Mark2 comes (I deferred my order), I'll start playing around more seriously.

Alex