Basically give credit where its due but don't sell it as something its not. (at least not yet).

But isn't that the point?
Ok, Alpine is developing a system of car management. But it is only Alpine developing it. The Open System of the Empeg allows much more freedom in development. Who is to say that The Empeg wont come out with DVD, GPS, etc? Alpine and others have been in the game for many years. Empeg is jumping in with a product which competes strongly in this catagory of car entertaiment and they are still just a baby company.

There are two fundamental differences between Alpine and Empeg though.
Their investments are in two separate catagories.

Alpine sells boxes. They offer some product support but most is delivered by local installer talent. For the most part (correct me if I'm wrong) they don't have the ability to simply upgrade functions of their products. You want more functionality? Buy a better box. It is entirely too difficult for Alpine and co to provide software letalone firmwhere updates for their products, because their company structure doesn't allow it readily.

Empeg sells software. They offer a box to put it in. but their company is into software development. Why did Hugo get the PSU in the orginal MP3car made by someone else? He even says he doesn't know hardware. bloody good job on the the Mk1 tho!! Empeg Offers Software and support for their hardware. Ease of upgrading is phenominal! If I wanted to get an Alpine player with the range of functions on the Empeg has made available, I would be buying a new player every 2 months.

Sure there are things which Empeg doesn't have available yet. but the key word is yet. As mentioned before most people look at the bang for the buck. and fundamentally it is "What do I get for my $1200?" Go to an Alpine dealer and ask the same question. Then do the comparison.
Then ask how much it will cost for the features which Empeg will be bringing out soon

Some people will always want a quick fix. They are not usually in this market.