Quote:
Attached is a zip with a new default.xsl and some transparent fascia images in various colors (plus the GIMP source so you can make your own).

There are some really nasty jaggies around the lens. I've cleaned that up on the attached gimp file.

I'm guessing you used the fuzzy selection tool, to select the center portion, and just cut that region out. If you grow the selection a bit (turn on antialiasing, and feather edges with a radius of 3 or 4, and do the selection a couple of times), you can then get a slightly better selection. Then, open up the Paths dialog, and save the selection to a path. Now, you can hit cut to get rid of the center. In the eraser options, pick the smallest fuzzy eraser you can find, and set the opacity down to somewhere between 30-50%. Then, go back to your paths, and select that path you just made. Do the "stroke path" with "stroke using paint tool" turned on, and set to eraser. Now the edges of the fascia will be slightly transparent around the interior, and blend nicely with the lens.

The lens, I just made a big square. To get the actual lens shape, I made a new layer from the fascia, and converted it to a black image by changing the contrast/brightness, applying some paint touch-ups, and then inverting the colour. Next, add a layer mask to the lens, set to full opacity (white), and copy/paste the pure-black fascia. Then, apply layer mask. Tada... now you have a lens that matches the interior of the fascia.

The way I'd composite the images on the webpage is to use the "fascia" layer first (which has transparent corners, to show the webpage background color), then the /proc/empeg_screen.png image (which just gets moved into the correct location), then put the "lens" layer on last.

Attachments
299345-medium_render_transparent.xcf (699 downloads)