Originally Posted By: petteri
Well, I voted down here in Florida (Broward County). New optical scan system in use. Fill in the circles and feed the sheet into the reader. No confirmation, just that the ballot was read and no blanks or double votes were scanned. The machine did have a printer built into it but us voters got nothing.

Polls opened at 7:00AM I got there at 6:45 and waited for about 1 hour before I was given my ballot. There were tables set up for about 30 people to fill in the ballots at a time. Only two optical scanners were visible. One seemed to be only for use for those in a wheelchair as it wasn't used at all while I was there. The line at least in the morning wasn't too long about 50-70 people in line.

Your story is consistent with lots of other stories. A one hour wait isn't that bad, all things considered. I'm guessing the bottleneck wasn't at the scanner but rather with either the check-in desk or with the number of voting booths. Certainly, scaling to more booths is very straightforward. Scaling the throughput of the check-in desk is much more complicated.

That printer is for the end-of-day tallies. The only sort of receipt you could ever get would be a "thank you for voting" sort of thing, unless we start getting into the more sophisticated cryptographic voting systems, but nothing of that sort is offered for sale, much less certified for use.