Originally Posted By: music

So I'm not saying that they shouldn't absolutely go in and do exactly what their constituents elected them to do...
but those up for re-election in 2010 in 50/50 districts will tend to be a bit more bi-partisan in their approach
than the Pelosis and Feinsteins who have absolutely no chance of losing their seats no matter what they do.

Leadership is doing what's right, not what's required to get re-elected. Yes, of course the makeup of your district determines how much you can get away with, but with the electoral map looking like a few globs of red in a vast sea of blue, now is a great time for congressional Democrats to ride the wave and give their constituents some tough medicine. As long as their solutions work, constituents will reward them with re-election, and the districts will suddenly look blue instead of purplish-red.

Originally Posted By: music

(And Pelosi is even preaching the gospel of bi-partisanship at this moment. Though that may be mostly in an attempt to try to get some stuff done during the upcoming lame duck session.)

I think it's clear that Nancy's going to swing things back towards the middle. She and Reid tried to do that in the 110th Congress, but Bush loyalty made the Republicans a bad dance partner. Now, I think you're going to see a lot of Republicans in purple states/districts start to suddenly remember how to reach across the aisle. A lot of attention is being paid to getting 60 votes in the Senate, but I can imagine scenarios where Senators like Collins, Snowe, Specter, and Lugar flex their own bipartisan muscle to help Democrats override filibusters.

Speaking of bipartisanship, Digby does it again with a perfect illustration of how hypocritical the media has been with their sudden demands that Obama fill his cabinet with a bunch of Republicans:

Quote:

After the closest election in American history had been decided by the Supreme Court in a partisan 5-4 decision and which left the US Senate in a 50/50 tie, one might have expected the new president to appoint a bipartisan cabinet. He had run as a "Uniter Not a Divider" after all, and the country was brutally divided after the impeachment of president Clinton and the dubious election results. Among the political establishment, he was seen as a master at reaching across the aisle. Richard Cohen, villager extrordinaire, said this:
Quote:

Given the present bitterness, given the angry irresponsible charges being hurled by both camps, the nation will be in dire need of a conciliator, a likable guy who will make things better and not worse. That man is not Al Gore. That man is George W. Bush."

This is what George W. Bush did:
Quote:

President George W Bush has produced a cabinet team which is the most ethnically-diverse in US history, but is politically right-wing.

He promised to to take an inclusive, bi-partisan approach to government, and his cabinet nominees include four women, two African-Americans, two Hispanics an Arab-American, a Japanese-American and a Chinese-American.

But although the team includes one Democrat, the key members are hardline Republicans, and several served in George Bush senior's administration.

I don't recall the Villagers rending their garments over this. In fact, they criticized Democrats for being too partisan when they objected to Bush appointing throwbacks like John Ashcroft Justice department:
Quote:

To argue too loudly that Bush's Cabinet isn't truly bipartisan risks opening Democratic critics up to the charge of indulging in post election sour grapes. Democratic leaders appear to realize that and have tempered the carping, say GOP staffers.

How dare those horrible Democrats indulge in post election sour grapes. Why couldn't they just "get over it?"

Look, I am not saying that Obama can't pick a Republican for his cabinet if he thinks he or she is the best person for the job. I can see some logic in picking one for defense, for instance, just to counter the worst impulses of the military brass who are inclined to engage in pissing contests with new Democratic presidents. (He could ask Colin Powell how that works - --- he's an expert.) But if he thinks he needs to do this in order to appease these stupid villagers and "send a message" that he is a conciliator, he should tell them to take a walk.