Originally Posted By: hybrid8
These "religious" (I don't recognize the mormon "faith" as a religion) groups
I think that's unduly harsh towards the Mormons. I was raised in one of the (non-fundamentalist) splinter groups that formed out of Mormonism, and, while I agree that the genesis of the church came about for reasons other than the claimed piety, the modern church is really a far cry from what it was in the past.

That said, I'm certainly not defending their beliefs, let alone their involvement in Prop 8. I'm incredibly proud of Paul Martin for passing C-38, and only wish that the elected leaders in the USA had as much insight into this issue as he did:

Originally Posted By: Paul Martin

The second argument ventured by opponents of the bill is that government ought to hold a national referendum on this issue. I reject this - not out of a disregard for the view of the people, but because it offends the very purpose of the Charter.

The Charter was enshrined to ensure that the rights of minorities are not subjected, are never subjected, to the will of the majority. The rights of Canadians who belong to a minority group must always be protected by virtue of their status as citizens, regardless of their numbers. These rights must never be left vulnerable to the impulses of the majority.

-- http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Civil_marriage_act