Originally Posted By: DWallach
I'm guessing the bottleneck wasn't at the scanner but rather with either the check-in desk or with the number of voting booths. Certainly, scaling to more booths is very straightforward. Scaling the throughput of the check-in desk is much more complicated.

Exactly. There were only enough tables set up for 30 people at a time. There was a short line for the scanner itself, but that varied. It all depended how quickly people filled out their ballots.

Quote:
That printer is for the end-of-day tallies. The only sort of receipt you could ever get would be a "thank you for voting" sort of thing, unless we start getting into the more sophisticated cryptographic voting systems, but nothing of that sort is offered for sale, much less certified for use.

Why is that? What would be wrong with a short printout that just gave you list of your votes? As it stands today, I don't know how the machine read my ballot. I just got a thank you for voting after each sheet I inserted into the machine. It didn't seem to matter in what order you inserted the sheets. I don't even know if you needed to insert all of the ballots. I guess I could have taken a few of the ballots with me...