More sperimental data ( smile ).

Today I listened an iPod Classic, 80GB, buought in the US, again belonging to a colleague (having bought a very popular player must have its pros... smile ). Standard cheap Apple earplugs. MP3s ripped and encoded in Itune, default settings, by my colleague.
Findings:
- Max volume is much higher, even though not as much as the G2 iPod the other colleague has.
- Sound seems more dynamic.
- Much stronger low frequencies, but definitely less powerful than the Zune 30 . Both the difference from my inexistent low frequency and the good ones from the Zune were very evident to me.

Mark, yes, actually I already have the Empeg Auto-Eq tone files in my iPod, trasferred from the Empeg itself. So, yes, I will definitely be doing some tests as soon as I have some time. smile

Tony, I've been trying all the EQ settings of the iPod, to no avail. I keep finding the audio way below par.

Cables: as I said above I've tested my iPod with several eaplugs and headsets, to no avail. Prolem cannot even be in the jack, as the issues I complain about are still present when conncting the earplugs to the dock connector (through the radio module).

Apple store: yes, that is an excellent idea I did not thin about. They do have iPods on display that can be tested. I have few apple stores easily reachable. That's another test I'll do.

As of now, I need to find a way to install US firmware in my iPod.

For the records, while all these tests are being done to satisfy my curiosity and mitigate or increase my disappointment at Apple, I ordered a Zune 120, which I hope I can use to listen to music and radio on my way to work. smile .
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg