Ok,

US iPod has 2.0.0 formware loaded. iTunes detects there's a newer version and ask what to do. I tell iTune to download but not install the newer version, and 2.0.1 is downloaded.

File name is iPod_33.2.0.1.ipsw , and it looks identical to the one I already have. So, it seems I am downloading a EU firmware even though the iPod plugged to iTune is a US one. This seems to be supported by the fact that older versions of US firmware were named iPod_24.x.y.z.ipsw . I am just guessing that the "33" means EU, while "24" means US?

As a matter of fact, I reset my EU iPod and used the newly downloaded firmware on it, and my EU iPod sounds just like before.

So, I think there are two possible explanations:

1. iTunes download EU firmware no matter what iPod is connected to it, possibly based on IP addrress. So, I can't update my US firmware or I'' turn it into a EU, volume-capped iPod.

2. the "33" and "24" are not related to regions. Simply, EU iPods are hardware volume-capped, and US iPods are not. So, I can update my US iPod and still it will sound better.

Now, I don't want to test 2 just to be stuck to a poor-sounding iPod again.

If 1 is true, I guess a need a way to fool iTunes and make it believe I am in the US.

This is so frustrating. Why, Apple, oh why?
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg