Quote:
if my mouse is BlueTooth, it works just fine. However, I don't know what technology it is. (...) it has a receiver that feeds mouse movements into a USB port and keyboard* data to a PS2 port.

That's not bluetooth.

Bluetooth products contain this logo and, quite specifically, do not require a receiver in the USB port.

That's the point of bluetooth: The receiver is a universal receiver already built into the laptop, and then you can have multiple cordless bluetooth devices connected at the same time (mic-headsets, stereo headphones, mice, cell phones for WWAN internet connections, etc.) and none of them need a receiver dongle to be plugged in.

The advantage is, you take your laptop to a meeting, pull the mouse out of the laptop bag, and you're done; no fishing for a dongle and plugging it in.

The non-bluetooth Logitech mouse I just got uses a very very small receiver dongle that is supposedly designed to be left plugged into the laptop at all times. Even with this design, it juts out from the laptop more than I'd like it to, and I fear that it will still strain the USB port as I yank the laptop in and out of its carrying case. Only time will tell if it eventually damages the port.