Originally Posted By: tfabris
On the other hand, having the scroll wheel's "click" be the middle mouse button is much worse for all the mice I've tried. The amount of force required to click down on the scroll wheel is always too much, and you end up rolling the wheel when you intended to just click. An example would be, if you have configured your browser so that middle-click is "open in new tab": If I tried to do that with most mice, I'd be scrolling off the desired link before the middle click even registered. So having the middle mouse button be a separate button is an improvement, in my opinion, even if the button's location is a hair awkward.

The ideal situation would be to have a proper three button mouse, with a full size middle button, and the scroll wheel placed slighly lower and inset into the middle button.

That's essentially what I have on my mouse. I think it's pretty clear that the middle mouse button is the least used, so I don't want a mouse that gives equal space to that button. That's why I have the middle mouse button mapped to the button you can kind of see in this picture on the far side of the scroll wheel.

I don't have anything mapped to the scroll wheel click, specifically because of the reasons you mention.

Edited by Dignan (23/02/2010 16:33)