Originally Posted By: Dignan
My guess for why there's no GPS is because Apple doesn't want people using the Touch as a nav system because without a cellular data connection, there's no way to get map data.

No quality GPS application downloads data over a data connection. That's only what bottom of the barrel monthly-plan crap-ware carrier-branded software does. There are probably more than 3 or 4 very good GPS apps iOS that include the data with their downloads and regularly update the software and data through the store. TomTom, Navigon and CoPilot are the three names that I already know quite well.

Quote:
It would probably be harder to cache all the map data an user would want than to just not let the user do GPS.

You overestimate how big map data is. It's small - all things considered.

Quote:
One question about the Touch's camera: am I wrong, or did I hear correctly that it's not as good quality as the iPhone's camera? I think it's lower res...

You're right. It's just over 0.5 Megapixels. Or just under SVGA or just over VGA, however you want to refer to it. I just say it's useless for stills.

It also doesn't have an LED flash nor can you manually focus (tap or otherwise) it seems in video or still mode. Its still photos will in fact only be ever so slightly larger than your actual display, 960x720. UGH. What is that, like 1997 Digicam levels?

The only advantages over the iPhone:

Much smaller and lighter
Available with up to 64GB (actually 59GB)
Doesn't cost $800

I'd love an iPhone and I'd be willing to forego the first two, but that last one is a real stickler.

Edited by hybrid8 (01/09/2010 17:41)