Originally Posted By: wfaulk
There are a large number of "remember things for me" apps, like Evernote (which is one of them), which seems like a great fit for a smartphone, but, so far, I've not been happy with any of them.

I was just getting ready to post that I thought I'd finally settled on Springpad.

3banana and its online presence, Snaptic, were recently renamed Catch. The Android app is very fast, but there is no markup possible in text.

Xeeku and most of the others with online components just feel like they will disappear before long. Some of the others aren't cross-platform at all.

Springpad's Android app is pretty good, as is the web site. Its problems lie in an inability to edit "rich text" on the Android app and lack of a native client for desktop OSes. You're just supposed to use the web interface, which makes web clipping virtually impossible.

Evernote's Android app in the market is just awful. Slow and awkwardly designed so as to make it even slower, and generally virtually useless. Nothing is cached locally, and network access is slow, so looking at anything takes forever. Sync is so miserable that changes you make on the Android don't even show up on the same device until many minutes later.

However, in composing this post, I found that there's a public beta of the Evernote Android app, and is very good. Speed has been improved dramatically. Caching has been implemented. The UI is far better. There's nothing about it that hasn't been improved tremendously. (It's worth pointing out that neither Evernote app will allow you to edit "rich text" notes. It does allow appending plain text to them, though, which is more than Springpad will do, and then you can go back later and reformat on the web or a desktop client, if needed.)

Also, there's a Java desktop client that works under Linux, Nevernote. It has some issues, but, by and large, it works pretty well.

So I think I'm back to Evernote for now. I don't really see anything at this point that would cause me to change, other than someone offering Evernote's premium features for free.