Is Google+ a better Facebook? It's going to need to be a whole lot better to knock Facebook off its perch, and it's not like Facebook is standing still. One prong is clearly the video "hangout" feature, which apparently allows others to join in arbitrarily, if you publicize the "hangout" to the public. They're trying to one-up Facebook on time wasting. That's pretty audacious all by itself.

One interesting data point comes from a buddy of mine who's a whole lot younger. He complained "Facebook is where all my high school friends are" (who he apparently doesn't want to deal with). He prefers Twitter, otherwise, because that's where his current friends and colleagues are.

It's also interesting to see how LinkedIn has somehow survived by positioning themselves as the place where you link with your "professional" colleagues (and where they've also tried to clone the Facebook experience).

Will Google win? I have no idea, but it's interesting to see what happens when Google sets their corporate might at attacking a problem.