Originally Posted By: DWallach
Is Google+ a better Facebook? It's going to need to be a whole lot better

It can be 100x better and still not make a dent at all in Facebook. I don't think it's going to achieve critical mass. It's like jumping back to 2002 and trying to beat eBay. No one could have done it then. Google would be better off waiting around for a potential social-esque collapse. Not going to happen any time son, but imagine all the millions they'd save.

Quote:
It's also interesting to see how LinkedIn has somehow survived by positioning themselves as the place where you link with your "professional" colleagues (and where they've also tried to clone the Facebook experience).

Do you mean to say that LinkedIn has changed up its site to more closely match Facebook or are you implying LinkedIn in itself has always been modeled after Facebook? Because it predates Facebook by at least a year and was already popular in professional circles before Facebook had much of any following at all. AFAIK, it's always been about business relationships.

Quote:
it's interesting to see what happens when Google sets their corporate might at attacking a problem.

That's true, though I won't follow this too closely. I have no desire to visit Facebook and the only Google services I use besides search, are the corporate-oriented ones, like Apps. And then really only Calendar and GMAIL for IMAP/POP on a few domains.