Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Quote:
Starting today, you’ll see the “Preview” and “Preview (Dense)” themes in the Themes tab in Gmail Settings. Why two themes? Our new interface will eventually expand dynamically to accommodate different screen sizes and user preferences, but until then you can pick the information density that you prefer.

Dense. Hah.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I don't care what they think it means, either way I'm a little pissed off. The "Preview" theme balloons everything up to take up WAY more space that is possibly necessary. The "Preview (Dense)" theme squishes it back down a tiny bit more, but still takes up far more room than any current theme.

Why on earth do they think this is a good idea? I already go to great lengths to minimize any wasted space in GMail when I'm using my netbook. With these new themes, I won't be able to fit 7 lines on the screen. These themes are just a terrible way to present information. If they were providing more info and needed space to do that, I'd say fine, but all they're doing is pretty much doubling the vertical space that one email entry takes up in the inbox. Why?

The previews are handy, though. At least then extension writers can get a head start on fixing the stupid new design. I like the look, but I hate the layout.