I'm going to stand by my suggestion of Empeg Car Audiobase

It is not format dependant.
If Empeg decides to bring out a new version, (not soon please guys!) they can add "2" on the end or something.
if Empeg decides to expand the product range, (DVD players, surround sound processors, God knows what else), they can change the "Audiobase" accordingly.

Remember it is not an MP3 play exclusively. They have not signed exclusive rights there, they just havn't implemented other format playback. Anyway, the market is getting swamped with catchwords of MP3 and Jukebox. PLEASE steer away from it!

A very important implementation of the serial port. It can be used for all manner of things. Given the correct adapter, it could control ANY CD changer, DVD player, etc. The music world went through an amazing revolution when MIDI first came out. No more proprietry operating control methods, and each component was on competing on its own terms.

this unit is capable of so much more than just audio playback, we have seen that with the discussion on open source (don't bring it up again here) and the posts to programming.

The name should be open enough to reflect what it is capable of.

-- Murray
Empeg changed my life and it did happen overnight.