Ok, I'll try one very last time. In a very civil manor.

The size of the sensor, the specs of the electronics, or the opinion of some guy on a technical review site have nothing to do with making pictures.

Why do I say this?

It's quite simple. At it's heart a photograph is the record of a memory or a moment. That record triggers a memory or inspires a response, this is done not by the technical quality of the equipment but by the angle of view and atmosphere captured.

I do not dispute the technical aspects of any given camera or camera phone.

What I do dispute is the sweeping statement that in all circumstances a point and shoot out does an iPhone. That is simply not true. It may take a different picture, but that picture is not necessarily better.

What makes one picture better than another does not boil down to which had the bigger sensor or better lens. It's subjective. One persons view is different to another.

So I am not saying you are totally wrong. But I am saying making such sweeping statements is.

I just Googled "best iPhone pictures" and instantly found hundreds or creative and inspiring photos. Sometimes when working in a limited technical space it can push creativity way beyond what would be possible when given near unlimited technical ability.

Sometimes a piece of equipment is chosen because of it unique qualities. Today for example, we were shooting for a cover of an industrial magazine. We chose the 8Mp 1D Mk II. It was to hand and gave a certain quality to the image we wanted. The 5D MK II was just too clinical for our subject. On paper the sensor in the 5D MK II is better. But the photograph taken by the 1D MKII was "better" in our eyes. So does that mean I don't know what I am talking about because I am using an inferior piece of equipment.

The failing in your argument that greater technical advancements lead to improved images is the fact that every time a new development is made the pictures already taken somehow become less good. Some of the best images ever taken have been taken on technology that on paper may not be even as good as you point and shoot. Can you see my point there ???

Cheers

Cris