Originally Posted By: mlord

Operationally, I don't know how much of a real-life difference it makes -- literally, I don't know because I've never used the 4S's camera. But I would guess that if I started with the phone in my pocket, and pulled it out for a "snap", the total time taken might be a few seconds longer than doing the same action with a dedicated camera.

It sounds like a good guess, but it would be wrong. With the new lock screen button and the 4S's extra speed, I can take it out of my pocket, focus and take a shot in just under 3 seconds.

And the phone is always on and doesn't have a zoom lens to deploy (obviously a minus point too). And it is small enough to have in my pocket, where as most "compact" camera that are worth carrying aren't really at home in my jeans pocket.

I'm not claiming that the 4S has image quality to rival mid range and above compacts, but it is very fast.

I was going to pull out some numbers to compare against recent compacts, but dpreview seem to have stopped measuring auto focus and shutter performance ?

Edited by andy (07/11/2011 13:41)