In Finder, pretty much everything has a keyboard shortcut. In Windows Explorer, almost nothing has a shortcut. Which is a shame because it's one of the things I thought MS was going to jump on when they introduced the Windows key logo program for keyboards.

Watch normal/typical people using a Windows computer sometime and you'll see that the mouse is used 99% of the time. I see so many people cutting and pasting with only the mouse too. I suppose that's one reason MS didn't bother with shortcuts - they already had the majority covered. smile

I hope I was clear last time, the bottom task bar is a poor UI/UX design decision by MS and the novice comment was in reflection that most people don't know it can be moved at all. I should probably have used the word "typical" rather than novice, because I didn't mean to imply only a brief/short experience using Windows.

While the bottom of the screen might be a fine place for the "task" portion of the task bar, the main issue is that MS attached the START menu to it. In all Western cultures there is a top->down, left->right system for layout, based of course on writing. So it's most sensible to have START at the top left which matches the conventions used elsewhere in the OS. Of course they've also been breaking a lot of sensible principles in versions of Internet Explorer, which hopefully they rectify in the latest iterations with their completely different desktop layout.

Edited by hybrid8 (24/08/2012 16:00)