Originally Posted By: Dignan

Originally Posted By: Archeon

Thanks Tony. This was my guess too, but I can't find where this can be set. In any case, in gmail itself, both imap and pop3 are active (I need pop3 too because I use it to pull the contents of two of those accounts to the first one - this was never a problem in the past with my iPhone).

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what to make of that setup. I don't know how that even works. On the phone's side, it's not really possible to have messages from a POP3 account brought into an IMAP account. I might not be understanding your setup, though.

To recap, all three accounts you're checking on your phone are GMail accounts, correct? I assume that you have a primary account, which is the one that your phone is using across the various Google services you're using. If all 3 of your accounts are GMail accounts, and you want to have your 2 secondary accounts send their emails to your primary account, this would normally be done within GMail on the web, by forwarding the email from each of those two accounts to your primary account. Then you'd simply have a single inbox on all your devices.
If you want separate inboxes for each account, then there shouldn't be any kind of bringing email from those two accounts into the primary, so I'm just confused again.

I think I need to understand your goals a little better.

Ok, I can understand why my setup may be confusing. This is the case:
I have 3 Gmail accounts. The main account is actually my domain account, which is coupled to Gmail, so it's essentially a Gmail account as well. The other two are "true" Gmail accounts. (@gmail.com)

I import the mail from the two @gmail.com accounts into my main domain account, in a specific subfolder. I do this to be able to see all my incoming mail in ONE account. Why? Because at work I can only log into my mail via webmail. By using the browser, I can only log into one Gmail account at a time. By logging into my main account and having it import the mail of both @gmail.com accouts, I have a nice overview of ALL my new mail, on one screen. (my webmail screen is always open at work)

For the import I use the "check mail from other accounts using POP3" option that is built into Gmail. It's for this reason I have POP3 enabled on the @gmail.com accounts. If I wouldn't need the import of the mail into the main account, I would disable POP3 entirely and only use IMAP (now they are both enabled).

Now, this is my setup. With my iPhone, I only needed to also configure my main account, because the mail of the other accounts would also automatically show up (imported). This was very handy. (I would also have configured the other two @gmail accounts if I would have liked, but I found the email client of iOS not very handy to deal with multiple email accounts - so I only used the main account) When I read a mail on my iPhone from my main account, it was always "marked as read" (of course) This also immediately showed up like so on my computer's webmail, Thunderbird, etc. (like it should be)

Now, with Android, and its much better Gmail integration, I saw the opportunity to not only configure only the main email account, but also both @gmail accounts. (the Android client is better at this than iOS's email client is). Another reason: Android also allows for push mail with Gmail (which the iPhone client did not, not anymore anyway), so I figured I'd configure all three accounts this time.

This works very well, EXCEPT for the fact that mail read on my Android phone does NOT show up as "read" on my desktop's Thunderbird or the webmail app. It's like the Android app doesn't tell the mail server the mail was read.

I cannot find any setting to configure this. I'm sure my sync settings are on (all the rest works fine, calendar synching etc...)

Does this make it more clear to you?
Hmmm...I just got to thinking that my setup with the imported mail isn't all that important in this case. I'm pretty sure the problem would be the same if this would just be a plain vanilla Gmail account. I was going to edit this reply, but then just figured I'd leave it be for completeness...

Anyway: do you recognise this problem? Maybe know a solution for it?

Thanks!