Originally Posted By: Archeon
Originally Posted By: Dignan
The other part is about using GMail account A to check GMail accounts B and C through POP. Naturally, this will work, but probably isn't ideal.

I'm currently back to again just using the mail email account, containing the imports of the other accounts, and in that configuration, everything works peachy. Of course, now I don't have push email on the imported accounts anymore. As said, this is no biggie since I've worked like this for years on my iPhone, but I do think it's a shame that Android seems to mess up in this "mark as read" department when more than one Gmail account is set up on the same phone.

Ok, now that I'm clear on how you're configured, I can assure you that the problem your encountering has nothing to do with Android and entirely to do with the setup you've created. It'll work, but as you've seen you won't have push email with your current setup, the same as when you were on iOS.

The reason is simple: when account A fetches email from B and C and uses POP to do it, there's absolutely no way to change the read status of an email on those secondary accounts. When you added those accounts to your phone, you were no longer checking the same email, but rather two copies of the same email on different accounts.

The way I see it, you have three choices:
  • Continue going as you're set up now, just like you were functioning when you had your iPhone, but understand that it's not an Android bug, it's a function of the way you've set things up.
  • Eliminate the POP checks on account A and start using the three accounts as three distinct accounts, and add B and C to your Android phone as "Google" accounts like I mentioned above, not IMAP or POP. I have a tip about how to handle this on your PC below.
  • Switch from fetch to forward. Wipe out the POP3 account checks on account A like in the first option, and go into accounts B and C and tell them to forward all mail to account A. This should immediately send incoming email to account A and not give you that delay you get with POP3 checking, which can only check so often. [side note: GMail tries to figure out the right POP account check frequency by analyzing how often you receive emails on those accounts - there's no real way for you to increase this]

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Dignan
If I were in your situation, I would log into all three accounts in my browser separately and then switch between them in one tab, or open one tab for each inbox. That would keep the accounts separate.

Well, this exactly is the crux that got me into thinking up this alternative way of checking more than one email account in ONE account : what you say seems logical, but it's impossible. It seems you can only have ONE email account open at the same time in one specific browser. You can circumvent this a bit by installing multiple browsers and opening up one account in Firefox, one in Chrome and one in IE eg, but at work I don't have the admin rights needed to install extra stuff.

It's not impossible, you just have to know the trick, and to not mind a couple extra clicks every morning when you open your browser. Here's how:

1- open account A in your browser.
2- click on your profile photo in the top-right corner of GMail.
3a- if you don't see your other accounts listed here, click "Add Account" and log into each of them.
3b- if you DO see your other accounts in here, Ctrl+click on them to open each one in a new tab (or right-click and choose to open in a new tab)

I just tried it and it works just fine for me.