Originally Posted By: Dignan

I'm still a little confused, but let me try to address some things:

When you say "The main account is actually my domain account, which is coupled to Gmail," what does that mean? Does that mean it's a Google Apps account?

Yes. It's my own domain coupled with Google Apps. This essentially makes it a Gmail account, it's just got a different domain extension.
So take eg. my domain would be "mysite.be", then my main email account would be "[email protected]". This site is indeed integrated with Gmail through it's MX records.

Or are you just set up on your web host to forward emails to a domain you own to a GMail account? For example, you own archeon.com, and have set up [email protected] to forward to [email protected]. You may never use [email protected], instead sending and receiving from GMail as [email protected] and just using GMail for mail handling. Naturally, the best way to do such a thing would be to pay $50 a year for Google Apps and truly integrate your domain with GMail through MX and SRV records, but then it isn't free.

This may now cost $50/year, but I did this years ago, when it was free, and for me it still is. I just need to pay my registrar €12/year for the registration of my site, that's it. I also don't use this domain extension for anything else than email. There's no site that goes with it eg.

Am I close on this part?

Yes. smile

The other part is about using GMail account A to check GMail accounts B and C through POP. Naturally, this will work, but probably isn't ideal. Regardless, it would be helpful to know how this part is set up in order to fix your issue. When GMail account A checks B and C, are you telling it to leave a copy when it retrieves the mail?

Well, the problem has been pinpointed (but not fixed) as you probably have read in the post above this one, but as said, I don't think this "creative way" of pulling emails from other accounts into one has got anything to do with the problem itself. I'm currently back to again just using the mail email account, containing the imports of the other accounts, and in that configuration, everything works peachy. Of course, now I don't have push email on the imported accounts anymore. As said, this is no biggie since I've worked like this for years on my iPhone, but I do think it's a shame that Android seems to mess up in this "mark as read" department when more than one Gmail account is set up on the same phone.

But to explain a bit more: Take eg. A is my main account (mysite.be), B and C are Gmail accounts. In the account setup of B and C, I have both IMAP and POP3 enabled. POP3 because I need it for the import function.
I then setup account A to import the mail of accounts B and C via POP3. Account labels the imported emails from B and C correctly and puts them in their own subfolder. The original mail also stays on the account B and C. (or leaves a copy like you say)

If I were in your situation, I would log into all three accounts in my browser separately and then switch between them in one tab, or open one tab for each inbox. That would keep the accounts separate.

Well, this exactly is the crux that got me into thinking up this alternative way of checking more than one email account in ONE account : what you say seems logical, but it's impossible. It seems you can only have ONE email account open at the same time in one specific browser. You can circumvent this a bit by installing multiple browsers and opening up one account in Firefox, one in Chrome and one in IE eg, but at work I don't have the admin rights needed to install extra stuff.

On Android, I think you want to handle things very differently than you are now. First, K447's suggestion would be the one I'd jump to immediately. From the description of your setup, it sounds like account A is already getting emails from B and C, but you've also set up your phone to get emails directly from accounts B and C. If those connections are POP, then it makes sense that your read status isn't synced because that's impossible with POP.

Correct, but I wasn't saying this about the subfolders with the imported POP3 emails of account A. I was talking about the true inboxes of all three accounts, which (I would think) are configured as IMAP.

But this still leaves me confused, because it sounds like you should be seeing double emails on your phone. Account A would get emails from accounts B and C, and accounts B and C are pulling email to the phone separately.

Yes, this is true. But since I don't use one big inbox but rather read every imbox from each account separately (basically hopping from account to account, very easy to do in Gmail), this not an issue. Also, as said, the imported emails are stored in specific subfolders of account A, which I specifically have to tap to read. Again: no problem, because I don't see the imported email if I don't specifically tap on them.