Originally Posted By: Archeon
And then I found out that Plex doesn't support .ISO file playing. Grrr...

This situation with Plex and the overall space raw rips were taking is what led me to transcoding as well. I can understand their concerns though, they essentially don’t want to embed a DVD player code into Plex since it’s pretty different then any other type of video playback. While DVDs are an MPEG format, they tend to use different parts of the old MPEG-2 standards regarding containers then what happened on the computer side and .MPG containers.

The MP4 container can support multiple subtitle or closed captioned tracks, though it depends on the type. DVDs sometimes have VOBSUB which is literally burned into a video track instead of being rendered at playback time. MP4 is limited to one of those. However the toggalable kinds that render at playback are common in MP4 movie download from iTunes and streaming like Netflix.

Some additional info is here, and I’m not well versed on the transcoding options between the various subtitle formats.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/advanced/subtitles.html

Potentially identifying the type may help refine some searches to help with the misalignment issue or other concerns. I’ll try and revisit this thread if I get to my new NAS and media ripping project sometime soon. Sitting on about 400 more DVDs to convert and will be redoing some of my older rips I did in a hurry to free up space.