Originally Posted By: Archeon
OK, I've made a couple of screenshots from the move "A Bug's Life", with Dutch subtitles. The first screenshot is from the .ISO file, straight from DVD. The second screenshot is what Handbrake makes of it, after conversion to MP4. You can see that, in the second screenshot, the subtitles are way too high.

Should anybody know how I can fix this, how I can lower the subtitles a bit, I'd be most grateful.

Subtitles are positioned relative to the bottom of the screen. On the DVD, the movie is letterboxed, so the subtitles are positioned "correctly" within the movie image. Once Handbrake crops the movie, the image fills the screen, so the subtitle position relative to the bottom of the screen means that they now appear in the middle of the screen. As far as I can tell, Handbrake does not provide any options to account for this during a crop. There's a post here with a workflow to solve this, but the referenced software -- DVDSubEdit -- appears to be pretty old.

The only other option (aside from patching Handbrake) is to have Handbrake use soft subtitles (i.e. don't burn them into the image). Then use VLC for playback, which lets you reposition subtitles.