I'd like to start a thread here on the BBS just for fun.

I'd like folks to list cool things they've done/noticed/experienced related to the Empeg. For instance, someone posted on the BBS recently that they got extra work out of a British Telecom technician because he was interested in the Empeg. Another said he got out of a traffic ticket because of the Empeg.

I'd like to continue in that vein, but open it up to anything cool or unusual, not just "getting extra stuff".

Here, I'll kick it off with this one:

The band They Might Be Giants has one album with a unique feature. Their 1992 album "Apollo 18" contains a section of 21 separate tracks titled "Fingertips". These tracks are all tiny little humorous songlets, each about 10 seconds long. They are written so that they can flow into each other or into any other song smoothly. The idea is to use shuffle-play on your CD player so that these tracks get mixed up with the regular songs on the album (in fact, the album's liner notes state this specifically.)

Well, with the Empeg, these tracks get shuffled in with your entire playlist. So you could be listening to several regular songs, then suddenly get a 10-second songlet, then regular songs again. It's great because passengers in your car will go "what the hell was THAT?"

It's almost as if the band was predicting the digital music craze back in '92. Sure, it works when you use shuffle-play on a CD changer, but it's not as funny because there's a pause as it switches discs. With the Empeg, the song switches are instantaneous, so when the "Fingertips" tracks get played, they really make the listener do a double-take. It's great.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.