If you compare the general level of civility and intelligence displayed on this bbs to that of other public forums, you will quickly come to the conclusion that this is indeed a special place.

Agreed. It'll change a little bit when the Empeg "goes big" in a few months. A large population sampling is always bound to have some bad apples. Anyone remember the day that AOL opened up Usenet to its subscriber base? Newsgroups have never been the same since.

Fortunately, this BBS caters to a special group: Owners of the Empeg Car, which by virtue of the product's price point, will keep the user base reasonably well-filtered.

OK, that made me sound like a snob. I should talk. If the Empeg owners are an "exclusive club", then I'm a gate-crasher, having obtained my membership second-hand.

So who's got more Empeg stories to relate?

I've got a couple other ones to add:

After scrounging some extra power supplies and audio cables, I now have three indoor stations where I can easily plug in my Empeg: 1) Next to my computer at home. 2) Next to my computer at work. 3) In my home entertainment center in my livingroom. I don't have to reach behind anything or cart cables from place to place. And I still have the original power supply that shipped with the Empeg, all packed up nicely in its carrying case, so if I find myself at a friend's house, I can plug it in there if I want. I highly recommend this to anyone who owns an Empeg. It literally makes it so that you can bring all your music with you wherever you go.

Here's another:

Make a playlist named "Test Audio" or something like that, and drag all of your favorite audiophile tracks onto the list. You know, the ones that really test your speakers and amplifiers to the limits. That way, when you want to make adjustments to your system (or show it off), you just hit that playlist and go to it. Now someone like tanstaafl would probably have a specific test CD for this purpose, but I just make do with plain old songs from my collection. Here are some examples of tracks I've put in that playlist:
- Tori Amos: Liquid Diamonds (from the album "From the Choirgirl Hotel"). This opens with some serious subsonic bass sounds. A bit dirty, but great for testing overall output.
- Madonna: Substitute for Love (from "Ray of Light"). 40 seconds into the track, there are some really great clean low electric bass notes that will show you just how tight and accurate your system's low-end response is.
- Madonna: Ray of Light: That whole album is great for testing stuff, but the title track specifically has some synthesizer filter sweeps that go all the way from subsonic to hypersonic. Great for testing the whole range.
- Peter Gabriel: Red Rain (from "So"). A very well produced track with a wide range of sounds and textures. Great for testing overall tone and feel.
- Dire Straits: Why Worry (from "Brothers in Arms"). The last section of this song has some very delicate sounds and textures which let you test how well your system delivers the proper warmth during the quiet passages.
- Rush: Cut to the Chase (from "Counterparts") the second verse has an incredible energy with some very powerful high-volume rhythm section hits across the whole spectrum. Crank this one up and see how hard your system can hit.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.