Okay, here's something I'd always said the Empeg would be good for, now I've actually done it myself and I was right.

I've recently gotten into desktop audio production. Using Emagic's Logic Audio (an awesome piece of software by the way), I'm mixing down and producing live multitrack recordings of myself and some of my friends.

(Note that I'm using the word "Mix" here in its original context: combining multiple tracks of acoustically-recorded audio of singers and instruments playing an original song. Not the newer definition of "Mix", i.e., not the recombining and beat-matching of preexisting material.)

After the final mixdown of a piece of music, you need to preview it on different pieces of consumer audio equipment to make sure it sounds good. Because even if you use the best set of monitors when you mix down, you should still listen to your mixes on various reference equipment to hear how it'll sound in the real world.

Two nights ago, I mixed down a set of songs which I thought were perfect. Then I MP3'd them at high quality, squirted them into the Empeg, and listened to them in my car, no CD-burning needed. I can also take the Empeg to any stereo with line inputs and preview my mixes. I'm glad I previewed these mixes in the car, because there was some subsonic stuff happening in the mix which I didn't notice until the car's subwoofer kicked in. So I was able to fix the anomolies before wasting any actual CD-R media.

For my purposes, just being able to MP3 my mixes is fine. But for some people, they'd need raw .WAV support in the Empeg if they wanted to do this seriously. So that's one good reason to fix the .WAV support in the Empeg...