Over in another thread, Dionysus made a comment about the difference between CD players and the Empeg. I realized it deserved its own "cool" entry. In fact, it's really the root reason I bought an Empeg in the first place. It's sort of the whole point of having an Empeg, but I don't think it's really been verbalized in these terms before.

If you own a car CD player, or even a changer, the physical act of choosing and swapping CDs becomes a chore. I tended to go through this procedure:

1) Decide I was bored of the 6 CD's I had in the car already.
2) Promise myself I'm going to pick 6 new ones tomorrow before work.
3) Forget about step 2 until I'm pulling out of the garage.
4) Go to step 2.
5) Eventually, get SO sick of the CDs and break out of the 2-4 loop. This can take up to three weeks (I'm quite absent-minded).
6) Bring the 6 CDs into the house and put them back in my collection.
7) Stare at my collection for ten minutes, trying to decide which 6 cd's I'm willing to listen to for another three weeks (because, although I am absent-minded, I'm still aware of steps 2-5).
8) Finally, I decide upon the 6 CDs I want to take with me, and invariably, they're 6 of my favorite albums. Ones I know I like and that I've already listened to over and over again. Because I know I've got to live with them for three weeks, they have to be the cream of the crop. As a result, I end up cycling through the same 20 albums in my car. I never get to hear the rest of my collection.

The Empeg, of course, breaks this cycle and lets you hear parts of your collection that you didn't even know existed. It's like your collection becomes new music all over again. Most of the albums have really good songs that you never heard (or at least never listened to closely). The Empeg lets you rediscover the music you always had.

Try this. Count the number of CDs in your collection. Subtract the number of CDs you listen(ed) to regularly (such as the 20 I mentioned above). The remainder of your CDs are more or less "wasted". Multiply that number of "wasted" CDs times the average price of a CD. That's how much your "wasted" CDs cost you. For instance, if you own 220 CDs, and you only listen to 20 of the regularly, that's 200 "wasted" CDs. Times about $16.00 per disc (depending on where you buy your CDs), that comes out to about $3200.00. Compare this to the price of the Empeg, and the Empeg sounds less like a luxury toy and more like an inexpensive investment in keeping your CD collection alive.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144