I see nothing schizophrenic or hypocritical about liking both Rush and Mozart. I think that if Mozart were making music today, he'd probably be making progressive rock like Rush. Anyway, if there's one rock album in the world which could please the ear of a classical music buff, that's got to be it.

Question about the way that album sounds on your system:

The beginning of track 3, "YYZ" opens with a bell sound which pans left and right. When I am listening to the song on a perfect system, or on a really good pair of headphones, the bell sound doesn't just pan, it swirls in a circle around my head. And I'm talking on a stereo-only system, with no surround sound or Q-sound or anything like that. But the listening conditions have to be perfect for that kind of imaging. Have you noticed that, too?

(Interesting side note: The rhythm of that bell and the opening of the song are the morse code letters YYZ, which is the code for the international airport in Toronto, their home town. The song is called YYZ because, according to the band, "it's always a happy day when YYZ appears on our luggage tags".)

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.