It assumes that sight irregularities are a result not of lens problems, but eyeball problems, and that they are caused by muscle stress on the eyeball itself.

Probably only tangentially related....I had had the same (very mild) distance eyeglass prescription since ~1978, but found myself in the mid-90s with typical 40-something problems with nearvision/reading. *Plus* it seemed like my ability to refocus and my distance vision were getting worse.

I finally broke down and got "progressive" bifocals and things have improved a lot -- I can read, refocusing is no longer a problem, and it seems like my distance vision has improved. I can go around without my glasses and have fewer hassles focusing.

As friends considered Lasik, I thought about it, too, but then decided that it would be more hassle to haul reading glasses around (as you all will someday!!) than it would be to just keep wearing the bifocals. The risks, too, I still rate as too high. OK, I'll say it: I'd wait a few years for the "next, best thing" with lower complication rates.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.