Of the remaining 5%, probably 90% of those still end up with near-perfect eyesight after multiple operations

This is what my thinking was, which is why I wanted someone to provide a source for the 5% claim.

I also didn't want to say it, but you're right, the figures you estimate, if accurate, are pretty good for this type of procedure. I'm willing to bet there aren't a lot of other operations that have such a high percentage rate.

Jim, I agree with that statement as well about the people who likely did the research and still had bad results. The difference? Those people actually talked to their doctors beforehand and were explained the risks. Afterward I think they are less likely to go on this type of campaign, because they really don't have anyone to blame. If malpractice was involved, then they do, but if it's a result of something that they were aware of before, it's a little tougher.

So I still say yes, her doctor should have said,"if you have dry eyes, the operation may not be as successfull." But she should have asked questions and done some research, or she would have come across this. Either way, it doesn't matter because it isn't the fault of the Lasik practice, it's the fault of her or her doctors.