Okay, okay.... there was a problem with mine. When the corneal flap got put back on my left eye, an eyelash got underneath. The day after, I had that removed, and I had a reaction to the anesthetic drops used the second time, which were mildly different from the drops used the first day. The anesthetic wore off while I was in a bookstore, and when it did, I sat there for about 10 minutes crying from the pain before I managed to stumble blindly back to the doctor's office.

There. There's your 1 in 20. Happy now?

Honestly, I asked my doc about that, and in all the thousands of procedures he's done, he's had exactly three problems: one lady rubbed her eyes (after being told many times not to), one lady wore mascara the day after the surgery (after being told not to), and my eyelash under the flap.

Where did you hear that 5% statistic, and what does it mean? Is that 5% failure rate of all procedures starting from the first time it was ever performed? What's the statistic for the procedure in the last... say... year? And just what constitutes a "failure"? Achieving anything less than 20/20? Going blind?