the doctor that i went to is Dr. Moosa of Los Angeles. [...] anyways, i have a week to chicken out

That's a name that I didn't come across in my Lasik research in LA. I ended up going with Dr. Macy, at Ceders-Sinai.

I won't kid you, it was the most absolutely frightening thing I've ever done, far surpassing my first skydiving trip (which *used* to be the most frightening thing I've ever done) -- I'm less afraid of dying, than I am of going through life blind. Up until I went through with the procedure, the closest thing I'd ever been to being blind was putting a blindfold on. The surgery was the first time I'd ever experienced true involuntary blindness that I wasn't in control of (the part when they put the suction thing on to cut the corneal flap).

I'd have to agree with pretty much everything that DiGNAN17 said (as the only other poster thus far with first hand experience), *except* for one thing: I'm not usually one to take drugs (I've healed up from a fairly badly seperated shoulder with nary an aspirin), but in retrospect, I'd have taken some sedatives if they'd been offered. I was incredibly tense, so my results weren't quite as good as they could have been (I ended up with 20/20 in one eye, 20/15 in the other).

Can't speak to the costs, since it was covered 100% by my company's insurance, but it's the best damn benefit I've ever had -- worth more than my salary for the year, as far as I'm concerned!

Don't chicken out.