Let me ask you this: how much research did you do before you bought the Empeg? Don't you think your health is worth the time and effort to find out what is going to happen to you?

Oh yeah, for *me*, I do the research. Whether it's buying an empeg, or getting sinus surgery, I do the research.

Not everyone does, though. And not everyone should be expected to. I don't think that everyone should have to distrust their doctor and second-guess everything the doctor tells them. I think we need to place responsibility squarely on the doctors to make sure their patients know the risks of any procedure.

It's not like buying a car, where you expect the salesman to lie to you. Doctors should be honest and straight with you, and there's nothing wrong with expecting that. I just don't see why a Lasik patient should share the blame when things go wrong.

Should I blame myself when the car mechanic leaves the drain plug off of the oil pan? "Oh you should have expected that might happen. Sorry your engine ran out of oil."