Oh yeah, for *me*, I do the research. [...] Not everyone does, though. And not everyone should be expected to.

Clearly not everyone does, but I disagree that not everyone should be expected to. It's completely irresponsible to have any operation without knowing the risks.

I don't think that everyone should have to distrust their doctor and second-guess everything the doctor tells them. I think we need to place responsibility squarely on the doctors to make sure their patients know the risks of any procedure.

I don't think you should have to distrust your doctor, either, and I do think it's the doctor's responsibility to make sure the patient knows the risks. But I also think that it's the patient's responsibility to ask if the doctor doesn't tell you. It's also the patient's responsibility to make sure the doctor has explained everything in language you understand.

It's not like buying a car, where you expect the salesman to lie to you.

What, you think you're in Canada, with a public health care system? This is the US -- medicine is a for profit venture here, and as far as I'm concerned, talking do medical staff here is like buying a car.

I just don't see why a Lasik patient should share the blame when things go wrong. Should I blame myself when the car mechanic leaves the drain plug off of the oil pan?

No, but I think you're confusing two things there. Things like leaving the drain plug off the oil pan, or complications arising during surgery can only be blamed on the person doing the job -- that's beyond your control. What you do have control over is who you take your car or eyes to, and if you made a bad choice there, such as taking your car to a disreputable mechanic or going to a doctor that doesn't explain the risks of an elective surgery, then yes, you are to blame for that.