(paraphrased from the "gifts of fruit" sequence in The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, but no less valid IMO for being penned by a novelist, not a theologian)

Though I don't remember that part (we are talking about the book, correct?), as far as I'm concerned Douglas Adams is fair game as far as quoting (or paraphrasing) goes. Yes, he satires religion (and Christianity) a bit, but he seems to be an equal opportunity satirist giving skeptics a hard time too (remember the guy who runs the universe?). The "Babel fish" piece also contains a message to theologians and non-theologians alike in how we can tie ourselves in knots with simple logic (not to mention being about my favorite sequence from any piece of fiction). Besides, the best fiction is usually written with a purpose in mind (or several) and is generally much more accessable to us "mere mortals" than the "ivory tower" theologian's/ philosopher's writings.