I just got the 30 gig iPod, and I really like it. The ability to take every CD I own with me while I work out, or mow the lawn, or take a walk... it's amazing. And the iTunes software makes it incredibly fast and easy to RIP music, build a series of playlists, and then instantaneously upload all changes to the iPod. I also like Apple's new music store. I can find an old song I liked, and buy it for a dollar. I still use Amazon for my CD purchases - that way I have an instant hard copy - but if there's only one or two songs I need, Apple music store gets my dollar.

My only quibble with iPod is the headphones. Apple is the master of user-interface design, so it comes as some surprise that their headphones ignore the shape of human ears. Designed by euclidian geometry rather than human form, these ear buds hurt. I replaced mine wtih some soft rubber Sony ear buds that feel and sound fantastic.

Perhaps the other MP3 players are good too, but I have not tried them. If you already own a Mac, the iPod is the clear choice. I somehow doubt the others can compete with Apple's complete solution. I like having one system that allows me to manage all my music effortlessly, from ripping CDs, to organizing playlists, to burning CDs, to buying single tracks of music... this device (working with my Mac) lets me do it all, and then carry it all around with me where ever I go.

If you get an iPod, I also recommend the Belkin car adapter. It plays iPod through the tape deck, and charges the iPod battery as you drive. I use mine all the time. I have kids, and if they're in the car, I can flip to one of their playlists. Driving alone, I'm back to my stuff.

Summary: If you love music and you love simplicity, you'll love the iPod. Although I use it with a Mac, it works with Windows, too.