Greetings!

I think 32MB will be enough. I ordered the big batch mainly a) to have enough for my players, b) to have enough for a few other people I ordered for, c) to give Stu and Mark some samples to experiment with. I doubt I will push beyond 32MB.

As to why, I can always answer "because it can be done", but that is too easy. Basically, I am pushing the envelope on memory. I think I can safely say that I am running one of the largest databases in production today: highest FID 762D (30,253 FIDs decimal) with a database file size of just over 4MB. I think the hard published limit was somewhere around 28,000 FIDs decimal.

I would recommend trying for more memory:

a) if you are running multiple third party applications on the player
b) if you find you need to tweak the ReserveCache option in config.ini
c) you cannot sync or fsck your drives without turning swap on
d) you are building an 80GB drive in a Mark2
e) your hard drives do not spin down because the player application does not have enough cache space

That would be my rough recommendations. Of course, this upgrade is still not proven yet. It is still experimental. And even my player still functions fine with 16MB. But I am looking forward to a day of 100GB+ drives, and I really prefer not having to think about memory use all the time.