I just loaded v3alpha7 onto my upgraded player, and noticed a small quirk.

The empeg .upgrade file includes a replacement "stock" 0e000 flash loader, so it wipes out the required one from Hugo! I'll update my Linux upgrader binary to automatically skip the 0e000 replacement in the same way it currently skips the kernel replacement step.

Apart from that, v3alpha7 seems to be working as well as ever, and leaves the second 16MB mostly untouched.

TO DO: the kernel and/or loader really have to be fixed to do an installed memory scan to determine RAM size. Currently I'm just hardcoding it, which means special kernels are required to suit the amount of memory installed.

Fixing this is not as simple as it might seem, since it requires tweaking the MMU to first gain access to the theoretical extra memory, testing for its presence (and defeating data-caching..), and then unmapping it if not found. All of which is complicated by the fact that the kernel currently sets up the MMU extensions much too late in the process, well after it has made use of the "memory size" value in lots of places..

Cheers