Congrats! Which method did you use in the end?

A bit of yours and a bit of something else.

I managed to get the afternoon in our test room on Friday. So I started by straightening the pins and making sure they sat nicely on the existing pair of chips. Once I was happy a dab of Pritt-Stick held them in place. To do the actual soldering I used what the guys at work affectionatley call the Nanoprobe, which looked like a minature temp-controlled Weller iron to me. The tip is smallest I've seen. I then did the soldering under their microscope setup which was quite cool.

Under the scope I applied a small amount solder to the tip of the iron (which actually looked like half a tonne under magnification) and then press it against the pin until the solder flowed off the tip and onto the leg of the chip. I repeated this process until I'd done all the legs on the first chip. After feeling quite pleased with myself I then went and tried your method. This worked well too. In the end there was just that one dodgy leg on the first chip. A quick press of the iron onto the leg must've resweated it.

The most difficult bit was making a satisfactory connection to RAS line on the StrongARM.

Here it is:

Attachments
215748-DSC00045.JPG (347 downloads)

Andy M