I understand the point of displaying a ratio of "happy" vs. "unhappy" customers, it shows scale. But knowing that a bunch of other people weren't ripped off doesn't console the people that are out of money. More importantly, the poll has no way of gaging WHEN the events occurred. Perhaps 100% of the people that placed orders after day X were ripped off.

To be honest, I was upset when I thought that the damages totaled in the hundreds of dollars range. But I think we've found out that the damages have at least tipped into the $1,000+ range. I think it's safe to assume that since this all started to happen a long time ago, many people may have stopped frequenting the BBS, so the number may be even higher.

Another issue to consider, does "% of people screwed" somehow relate to "was anyone screwed"? I don't see the relation. Just because "some" or even "most" people were served well, does that make the "very few" that were harmed by his actions/inactions meaningless?

And isn't possession worth something? Just because I didn't actively steal something, I am still responsible if I find myself in possession of goods or funds that do not belong to me. Sure, I may have not intended to take something that wasn't mine, but that does not make it right for me to keep it.

Many of you know of the recent trouble I had in acquiring an empeg that I purchased from a BBS member. Never during that whole ordeal did I suspect that person of posting a fake sale in order to collect my money and run. I always though that he was simply inconsiderate and didn't really see the big deal in keeping a "just a few hundred bucks" of mine. But that didn't stop many of you from encouraging me and another member in the same situation to contact the authorities. Yet, for some reason Steve seams to get a free ride, even though we're talking about a lot more than a few hundred dollars.

I guess the sad part of all of this is that considering what an understanding group we all are, a few simple emails from Steve would have put a lot of this to rest.