Quote:
I understand the point of displaying a ratio of "happy" vs. "unhappy" customers, it shows scale. But knowing that a bunch of other people weren't ripped off doesn't console the people that are out of money.

Nor is it meant to. Seriously, I was probably one hair's width away from being one of the people who was/is out $100 or more.

Quote:
More importantly, the poll has no way of gaging WHEN the events occurred. Perhaps 100% of the people that placed orders after day X were ripped off.

Absolutely true. This is why insta-polls deserve critical scrutiny.

Quote:
To be honest, I was upset when I thought that the damages totaled in the hundreds of dollars range. But I think we've found out that the damages have at least tipped into the $1,000+ range. I think it's safe to assume that since this all started to happen a long time ago, many people may have stopped frequenting the BBS, so the number may be even higher.

Absolutely true. If there is a reason I am glad I put the poll up, it is that the poll at least represents the "floor" of folks who are out $$$. I would not want anyone to think that the results correctly estimate the actual numbers of folks who are out some money (though I would still guess that the response bias leans toward folks who are trying to figure out where their money went. JMHO.)

Quote:
Another issue to consider, does "% of people screwed" somehow relate to "was anyone screwed"? I don't see the relation. Just because "some" or even "most" people were served well, does that make the "very few" that were harmed by his actions/inactions meaningless?

Not in any way. My only point was whether "Darkstorm Lenses (TM)" was, from the outset, a scam/fraud. I don't think that is the case. Also, I consider the possibility that Steve was somehow struggling to make output equal input -- pay bills, meet obligations, et cetera -- and then encountered malignant circumstances that threw a wrench into all of that. But I have no basis for estimating the likelihood of that. (Edit:: it is also conceivable to me that at some point Darkstorm decided "Heck, here's my chance to make $1000 for nothing" but I also have no basis to estimate the likelihood of that.)

Quote:
And isn't possession worth something? Just because I didn't actively steal something, I am still responsible if I find myself in possession of goods or funds that do not belong to me. Sure, I may have not intended to take something that wasn't mine, but that does not make it right for me to keep it.

Agreed. Don't take my anti-fraud/bunco posts as some sort of a defense. I am trying to think of other terms. Dishonest? Lack of integrity/ I don't know.

Of course, if I get a bunch of preorders for my new Empeg-Radioshark interface and then find out that I have the "Big C". Well, fark it. I am *definitely* going to Mexico and taking all your money with me!

Quote:
Many of you know of the recent trouble I had in acquiring an empeg that I purchased from a BBS member. Never during that whole ordeal did I suspect that person of posting a fake sale in order to collect my money and run. I always though that he was simply inconsiderate and didn't really see the big deal in keeping a "just a few hundred bucks" of mine. But that didn't stop many of you from encouraging me and another member in the same situation to contact the authorities. Yet, for some reason Steve seams to get a free ride, even though we're talking about a lot more than a few hundred dollars.

I followed that thread with great interest and dismay. More dismay, perhaps, because, so far as I knew, the seller had no track record other than electrons on this BBS (but I would like to hope and believe that is no small thing). Darkstorm, for better or worse, delivered a bunch of lenses to people. He made my Empeg fit in with my odd green WRX dash.

At the time I followed that thread, I e-mailed a member of the BBS and asked (What the heck, I will say it now) "Drug Problem?" For all I know, Darkstorm took more than $1000 and spent it on crack. If he wants to say that he spent it on chemotherapy, he is welcome to e-mail me and I will convey that to the BBS. OTOH, if I got to the point that I had to Go To Mexico (TM), I can assure you that I would stop reading this BBS and stop caring what this BBS said about jimhogan.

Quote:
I guess the sad part of all of this is that considering what an understanding group we all are, a few simple emails from Steve would have put a lot of this to rest.

Strongly agreed.

Edited by jimhogan (10/10/2004 17:18)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.