What's wrong with this picture?

Or rather, what is wrong with these people? As much as I detest Chimpy McCokesppon, I can not wrap my head around the idea of wearing flip flops to the white house. As a matter of fact, I can feel one of my parents slapping me upside the head for thinking of it.

And it's not just these women, it's everywhere. I've noticed over the years totally inappropriate dress in court (at 20 I was floored when some woman showeds up to court in a spagetti strap tank top and short shorts, and saw someone getting thrown out of the courthouse for similarly vulgar attire two years ago when I went to go answer those assault charges), people confused when being refused into restaurants in jeans and t-shirts (obviously jacket required places), wet haired flip flopped and bathing suit clad kids running through supermarkets no where near a beach or pool, cargo shorts at a wedding two weeks ago (no, it wasn't a casual affair), and I could write volumes on the slovenly appearance (and more appalling behavior) of american tourists in churches (some of the locals are almost as bad). I'm not asking for haute coture, but is it really that hard to brush your damn hair and take off the pj pants and wifebeater and put on some real clothes?

Maybe it's just me, and i'm sheltered and/or insane, but isn't proper attire for the occasion something you're taught as a child (i can remember several fights with mom as a small child about not being allowed to wear the goofy shirt and donald duck flip flops that I was obsessed with to church or restaurants), or did it get lost with all this I'm OK you're OK crap? Are ettiquette books being burned along side the Harry Potter books? Can someone please explain where this comes from? Because I'm really confused by the idea that not one, but at least 5 (who knows how many more in the back row, those are just the ones I can see) in a group of 34 decided that this was perfectly OK.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony