Quote:
Back in the 20s and 30s a man out in public who wasn't wearing a hat was considered unacceptable, and dare I say you've surely worn outfits to work that back then would have been looked upon with the same disdain you're currently showing. Style changes over time, and Western society has been drifting towards more comfort and less formal dress for a long time, and I see nothing wrong with that.

But it's not always a comfort issue (I will give you that in this particular instance). In this case, it's homogenous sloppiness. A lot of what I see is stuff that's just wrong. For example, the succubus (my friends ex) comes up to me with a suit he bought for a grad school interviews. It looked like something straight out of legally blonde. Complete with 4 inch metal heeled pink flower embellished mules (shoes I actually owned). She asked me what I thought, and I told her "It's fine, if you're not planning on being taken seriously." Well, of course this makes me a great big ol meanie for telling the truth (he commited the worse sin of agreeing with me). Mind you, this was not someone who had never seen appropriate dress for an occasion like that (not just mine, which being as I didn't know what an evil bitch she was at the time, I would have happily lent her something appropriate, again), but someone who full well knew the rules of the game and thought that multicolor pink fringe trim job says to someone at a place like Columbia "Yes, I will make a great doctor one day".
I've witnessed many other not anymore comfortable than proper clothes horror shows like ballcap indoors with shirt and tie, abercrombie t shirt showing through dress shirt, tevas, socks, and suit (sorry, had to point and openly laugh at that dude, but could almost understand it as he could have changed his shoes to commute, and forgot to put the other ones on), leather halter top at reception desk (it was 90 degrees and humid this morning, so not comfortable), and my favorite, the dumbass biller we formerly had at the VW dealership, who showed up on day in the matching tracksuit with juicy printed on the ass. Explained by "This cost $300, I don't see what's wrong with it" as Erin attempted kicking her ass out the door before anyone saw that crime against taste.

Sometimes it is a comfort issue (however I look at it as a sign of poor breeding, or having absolutely no respect for anyone including yourself, to show up in a shirt and tie place in sweats, on purpose, not by accident), but in cases like this, and things like wearing a skirt so short you bend over and the world's your gynecolgist to church, it's not a comfort issue. And it's mostly tied to my age and below. I'm really curious as to where the hell it comes from.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony