Quote:
Would you say, Jim, that there are no situations that require attire above a certain level?

No, I wouldn't say that and hope I didn't imply that. I mean, I think Seattle's shorts-and-sandals culture is great and, for people like my techie friend in a no-customer-contact job, I don't understand why she has to be subjected to the pointless conventions of uptight Tennesseean telecom tyrants. But....

Quote:
Should we expect to start seeing tank tops at weddings...or funerals?

I will equivocate by saying "it depends...I hope not."

I expect you will see tank tops and "My Other Ride Is Your Daughter" T-shirts at biker funerals and everybody in attendance will think that is just ducky. I bet Dragi goes to the occasional funeral wearing a black turtleneck, sunglasses and a beret and the bereaved understand that it is his somber, formal attire. If I showed up without a jacket/suit and tie at some weddings and funerals of friends and relatives, that would be looked upon very badly. It's the culture. It's the respect thing. If I couldn't pull it together to show some respect for the folks that are inviting me, I wouldn't go.

My thought on White House invitations is this: as much as I deeply, deeply loathe the current residents and take every opportunity to diss them, I have no plans to accept their invitation so I can embarass anyone with goofy attire. The next time I accept such an invitation, I'll arrive quite reasonably well dressed. In the meantime, I'll just express my displeasure with a simple "No thanks, I'm scheduled to get my oil changed that afternoon".

Quote:
Sometimes I think how it's a shame you don't see as many suits any more, but then I think about how much I'd hate to be the one wearing them.

I wore a suit for 3 years as a consultant. PITA. I *will* say, sadly, though, that the psychology of suits does have an effect. Fly into a hospital in a small town wearing an expensive necktie and some people look at you like you're the Pros from Dover.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.