Originally Posted By: Dignan
To be fair, he wasn't talking about the Garmin. He was talking about the Tom Tom, which has a very different aim, as far as I've seen.

I brought the topic up and I'm talking about both of them. smile Both companies have an assortment of products with overlap within their own range as well as with what may be available in the iPhone at release time. Their built-in maps app will in fact do routing. Though it's not what I'd mount to a dashboard while driving. Someone else will have to release something with voice instructions and the other bells and whistles. I didn't mean to imply at all that Garmin or TomTom would be doomed. Not by a long shot. They can actually turn the iPhone into quite an opportunity if they choose not to turn their back at it and blow it off as an unimportant platform.

Quote:
Which is why I said I thought it was odd that they do hardware reveals at this thing. Is it just to get people to attend?

No. The hardware reveals usually have some link to the development community. The iPhone is no different. There's a heavy focus on iPhone development which you can see by the number of dedicated sessions for it. Every feature described for the new software and hardware platform will be open for developers to take advantage of and really make shine.

Apple has also been pulling out of trade-shows run by other parties, such as the summer Macworld and Mac Expo most recently. The iPhone could warrant its own press event, but WWDC is an opportunity to have Steve speak in front of a larger audience. And again, really get the devs focused on the new goodies.

The odd announcement for WWDC was actually MobileMe, not the hardware.

Quote:
And I'm amazed that Apple doesn't do a streaming video of this thing.

They do. Just not a live streaming video. smile It will usually show up sometime after the event.

I usually stick to coverage from one or more of the blogs providing live updates with text and photos.