Originally Posted By: Dignan
Thanks for the info on the GPS stuff. I'm not sure I understand, though. Will it not track your movement as you drive? Is it not true GPS or something?

What I mean is that the current Google Maps software allows you to bring it up, enter a destination, and it will give you directions. Lets say half way through the trip you make a wrong turn. The iPhone currently won't realize this and update the directions to get you back on track, while dedicated GPS devices like a TomTom will. 2.0 may change this on an iPhone 3G with the GPS chip, but nothing has been shown to prove this yet.

Quote:
It'll also be interesting to see how much noise the iPhone 3G makes next to speakers. Isn't the old iPhone pretty noisy?

This would be RF interference, and the iPhone 3G will be running on the same frequencies as the normal iPhone does now. AT&T runs most of their GSM network at 850 mhz, and this seems to interfere a lot with unshielded speakers and such. My AT&T razr did this, my friends T616 did it as well. T-Mobile tends to stick to 1900 I think in the US, so very little noticeable interference. I'm not sure offhand what frequency the other providers use.

Quote:
Certainly, $40 over two years is not a lot to pay for 3G speed and all of the new features the new iPhone brings... But saying it's more affordable is a bit of a dodge.

Very few people ever bother to look at lifetime cost. The up front cost being cheeper is going to have a huge impact on the success of the device. The interesting info coming out is that AT&T and Apple won't be sharing revenue on the monthly plans, so that brings up two good questions:

1. Will the new iPhone data and voice plans be eligible for corporate discounts?

2. Is this an end to the free major software updates to the iPhone 3G, or is Apple going to defer accounting on it like they do the Apple TV?

Quote:
Engadget has a few more details on Snow Leopard than was talked about in the keynote, but not much.

More info is out at Apple.com now. With no new notable consumer features, I really hope Apple treats this like 10.1, and releases the upgrade for the cost of the disc. Snow Leopard just doesn't strike me as something to pay $129 for, and the name almost hints at this too. The 64 bit comment seems to hint that the rumors of Apple dropping 32 bit may be true. This would mean that all MacBook Pro, MacBook, iMac, and Mac Mini units that shipped with a Core Duo (not the Core 2 Duo) will not be able to run it. And while not spelled out on the site, it's pretty clear PowerPC is dead, since "Snow Leopard dramatically reduces the footprint of Mac OS X", ie, ships without fat or Universal binaries. At least that is not terribly unexpected, but it will be annoying if they do kill off Rosetta as well.