Originally Posted By: Dignan

Could part of that be due to the slower pace of a full hour-long show instead of one that's ~44 minutes?

I thought that was it at first, but upon comparison, the US version still packs more into its shorter air time. It's not just compressing what was in the UK version.

Quote:
you're saying that there's a lot of padding on a show whose entire run lasted 16 episodes?

It doesn't matter how many total episodes there were to be able to compare episode to episode. I'm not commenting on the overall story arch nor am I saying that the UK version is bad. I'll continue watching it since I have the whole of both series.

Quote:
The US doesn't know how to end a show other than an abrupt cancellation (see Pushing Daisies) or a prolonged meandering story (see X-Files).

That's both the fault of networks and producers/creators. On the one hand you have a show being created without a definitive overall plot or story arch as was the case with the X-FIles. It also lacked continuity on amy different levels. On the other hand you have shows that do have well thought out stories that have been tailored to last a specific number of episodes and some type of plan on how to end the series. When the network steps in and prematurely cancels this type of show, it's not always possible to wrap it up neatly.

Quote:
I'd really be interested in seeing how closely the US version follows the story of the UK version. If so, there really isn't much to add there that the UK version didn't say better and with fewer episodes.

We don't really know if there's a plan to produce only a fixed number of US shows at this time. There are at least 13 episodes planned for this first season though. Since the original creators are behind the US version, I suspect it would work well enough even if it ran two or three times as long as the UK version. At one point a show stops being a remake or retelling and takes on a life of its own.

Quote:
Most of all, I refuse to believe that anyone can match or surpass Philip Glenister in that role.

That's fair, I'm not going to argue the merits of one actor versus another. I've liked both versions enough to say that I don't think either is carried by the strength of one single person.

I think my feeling at this time is that the creators have improved on what they wrote originally. And the substitution of US-isms for UK-isms wasn't what made the changes work. wink

I'm looking forward to watching both, though I'd really like to try and get ahead on the UK version to see it from the other side.