Originally Posted By: Dignan
it's been a different kind of beer, and each time it's tasted exactly the same to me

There's also the reverse problem, which is when the same kind of beer tastes very different depending on how old it is, how well it's been stored, that sort of thing. (At least, I assume that's what the difference is.)

This happens to such an extent that it makes me wonder how useful it is to even recommend beers, particularly draught beers, to people: some of the best pints I've had have been Ruddles County, but most Ruddles County is just average. There's a pub near me that does a jolly good St Austell's Tribute -- but also other pubs in Cambridge where the Tribute isn't very nice.

So my beer recommendations are a travelogue, not a travel guide. You can go and seek out Jennings Sneck Lifter, Theakston's Old Peculier, St Peters IPA, or Robinson's Unicorn (formerly Best), but I can't guarantee you that you'll have the same good experiences there that I did. You're just as likely to do well if you walk into a decent real ale pub (Kingston Arms, Cambridge; Ginger Man, Austin) and order at random.

Peter